CASE #1101 HOUSING AUTHORITY OF SAN JOAQUIN COUNTY
REASON FOR INVESTIGATION:
The San Joaquin County 2001-2002 Civil Grand Jury received a citizen complaint alleging complaints against the San Joaquin County Housing Authority regarding the living conditions of the Franco Center and Sierra Vista Housing Development to fall below acceptable living standards.
METHOD OF INVESTIGATION:
- Interviewed Al Carnahan, Construction Manager for the San Joaquin County Housing Authority.
- Interviewed Jean McCullough, Property Manager for the San Joaquin County Housing Authority.
- Inspected Franco Center with committee members.
- Inspected Sierra Vista Housing Development with committee members.
- Interviewed Paul Taormina, Account Representative for ThyssenKrupp Elevator.
- Interviewed Willie Price, Director of Industrial Relations Department, Occupational Safety, Elevator Unit.
We initially toured the Franco Center with Mr. Al Carnahan, Construction Manager for the San Joaquin County Housing Authority. He took us through each of the five floors of Franco Center showing us old apartments before refurbishing and new apartments after the refurbishing. We toured Sierra Vista Housing Development inspecting housing units appearance and talking with ground crew workers.
- The 2001-2002 SJCCGJ found that living conditions for Franco Center and Sierra Vista Housing Development previously might have been below acceptable living standards.
- On our tour of both facilities we found the San Joaquin County Housing Authority is conducting a major refurbishing to each and every apartment of the Franco Center. The elevator is to be inspected on a regular basis. A new permit is being processed.
- The San Joaquin County Housing Authority has a new five-year plan, which was adopted in July of 2002. Improvements to Sierra Vista Housing Development are proposed in that plan. Each building will have a new face-lift and will see much improvement during the next five years.
- The San Joaquin County Housing Authority submit a schedule to complete the improvements to Franco Center and Sierra Vista Housing Authority.
- The San Joaquin County Housing Authority submit a copy of the current elevator permit to the San Joaquin County Civil Grand Jury.
Pursuant to Sections §933.05 of the Penal Code:
The Board of Commissioners of San Joaquin County Housing Authority shall comment in writing, to the Presiding Judge of the Superior Court - within (90) days of the publication of this report.
As to each finding in the report, a response indicating one of the following:
- The respondent agrees with the finding.
- The respondent disagrees with the finding with an explanation of the reasons therefore.
As to the recommendation, a response indicating one of the following:
- The recommendation has been implemented, with a summary of the action taken.
- The recommendation has not yet been implemented, but will be with a time frame for implementation.
- The recommendation requires further analysis, with an explanation of the scope of the analysis and a time frame not to exceed 6 months.
- The recommendation will not be implemented, with an explanation therefor.