Cleaning Up Your Criminal Record
If you have been convicted of a crime you may be eligible for relief through a relatively simple legal process. Some convictions can be modified on your record so that when you apply for most jobs, you can legally indicate that you were not convicted of that crime. Other convictions may be reduced from felony to misdemeanor status in certain situations. Also, San Joaquin County residents who have completed a term in prison may be eligible for a Certificate of Rehabilitation and Pardon.
NOTE: This information deals with criminal convictions obtained in California only.
Forms Packet and Resources for Help
Petition for Dismissal pursuant to Penal Code 1203.4 or 1203.4a
- See handout on Petition for Dismissal (Expungement)
- The California Courts website has detailed information about cleaning up your criminal record.
- See Packet of forms for Petition for Dismissal per 1203.4 or 1203.4a (Expungement)(pages 1, 2, 3, 4). You may also purchase the packet in the Criminal Clerk’s Office
- Humphrey’s College Lawrence Drivon School of Law offers an expungement clinic. See the EXPUNGEMENT CLINIC FLYER for additional details.
Sealing your Record
- Go to the Cleaning Your Record on the California Courts website and click on “Figuring out your options”
- Petition to Seal and Destroy Adult Arrest Records form in accordance with PC 851.8
- Petition to Seal Arrest and Related Records form in accordance with PC 851.91
Certificate for Rehabilitation or Pardon
- How to Apply for a Pardon and Quick Reference for Restoration of Rights
- Instructions for Petition for Certificate of Rehabilitation and Pardon
- See packet of forms: Petition; Notice of Filing; Certificate of Rehabilitation. You may also obtain a free copy of the complete packet in the Criminal Clerk’s Office.
Find out the Details of Your Conviction
In order to clean up your criminal record, you need to know what is on your criminal record so that you can figure out your options and choose the correct forms. Go to the California Courts website to read more about how to get this information.