The Superior Court serves the citizens of San Joaquin County through its various courts, which include:


The losing party in a decision by a trial court in the federal system normally is entitled to appeal the decision to a federal court of appeals. Similarly, a litigant who is not satisfied with a decision made by a federal administrative agency usually may file a petition for review of the agency decision by a court of appeals.


Business Services & Purchasing

San Joaquin Superior Court welcomes bids, quotes, and proposals from businesses based in the United States for needed IT and non-IT goods and services.



Civil courts have jurisdiction over disputes involving money, title or possession of real property, and special cases such as change of name and injunctions.


Civil Grand Jury

The Civil Grand Jury is comprised of 19 citizens who are impaneled annually for a one-year term. The responsibilities of the civil grand jury encompass the examination of all aspects of county government, including school and special assessment districts, to ensure that the county is being governed lawfully, efficiently and that public monies are being handled appropriately.

Collaborative Courts

The purpose of the Collaborative Courts is to arrest the damaging and costly cycle of substance abuse addiction, crime and incarceration by providing court-monitored treatment, promoting self-efficiency and accountability.



Criminal court is where you go when the state believes you have committed a crime and it files charges against you. Only the government — not another person or private agency — can charge you with a criminal violation. In criminal court, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.


Family Court Services

Family Court Services (FCS) is part of the Court and provides child custody recommending counseling for families with custody and visitation disputes.


Family Law & Support

This division of the Superior Court encompasses filings relating to dissolution of marriage, child custody, visitation, paternity, family support, restraining orders and adoptions.


Jury Service

You have been summoned to render an important service as a juror. You have enjoyed the privileges of citizenship and the protection of your liberties and property through our system of self-government. Now, for a short time, you will serve as a juror, an officer of the court, along with the lawyers and the judges.
More »


Juvenile Court is responsible for adjudicating matters regarding minors. Juvenile Traffic Hearing Officers hear matters regarding misdemeanor traffic offenses. The judges assigned to Juvenile Court hear cases involving minors.



The Probate Division handles decedents’ estates, guardianship of minors, and conservatorship of adults who are unable to provide for their personal needs or manage their financial resources.


Records Management

The San Joaquin Superior Court Records Management division is responsible for all of the court’s archived public records. We house Superior Court records that date back to 1850 and they are available for your research needs.


Small Claims

Small claims court is a special court where disputes are resolved quickly and inexpensively. The rules are simple and informal. The person who sues is called the plaintiff. The person who is sued is called the defendant. You are not allowed to have a lawyer represent you at the hearing in small claims court. But you can talk to a lawyer before or after court.



When you get a traffic ticket, you must act before the due date on your “Notice to Appear” runs out. You are responsible for acting before your deadline. If you do not take action in time, your license can be suspended and the court can charge you with a misdemeanor and issue a warrant for your arrest.


Unlawful Detainer / Landlord-Tenant

As the landlord, you must begin by giving the tenant an appropriate written notice. If you are uncertain whether this should be a 3-day or a 30-day notice, you should contact a legal advisor for assistance. If the tenant has not moved out by the end of the period stated in the notice, you can begin the legal process by filing a complaint with the court.