For Lodi Court contact information, click here.

For Manteca Court contact information, click here.

Overview of services – criminal

Legal Advice

Please be aware that Superior Court staff is not authorized by law to give legal advice. If you are seeking legal advice, you should consider consulting a licensed attorney.  You may also want to visit the San Joaquin County Law Library or the Superior Court’s Self-Help Center for additional information and forms.

What I Need to Bring to Court

  • Proper identification
  • Copy of citation, Promise to Appear
  • Any documents which prove compliance with judicial orders and/or probation terms

Case Records and Search

If you would like to view a case file or request copies of documents from a case file, please visit the Records Management page.

Fees, Fines, and Bail Schedule

If you would like to view fees and fines and the bail schedule associated with criminal cases, please click on the links that follow:

Fines and Fees or Felony Bail Schedule

Criminal Court

Criminal courts have jurisdiction over misdemeanors – offenses generally punishable by fine and/or county jail term – preliminary felony hearings and felony trials. Criminal courts conduct arraignments, criminal readiness, trials, motions, sentencing, probation hearings, and Mental Health proceedings.

The non-judicial support for criminal courts consists of Court Clerks, a Criminal Calendar Department, and Interpreters. Court Clerks assist the judges in the courtroom by preparing minutes, scheduling events, marking exhibits and various other duties. The Criminal Calendar Department transfers information from the courtrooms and other outside sources to various computer systems to create indexes, calendar and minutes. The Interpreters provide interpreting services for the Court in both the verbal and written form.

Criminal Proceedings

With the unification of the Municipal and Superior Courts, Superior Court has criminal jurisdiction over all misdemeanors, preliminary felony hearings, and felony trials. The Court conducts arraignments where accused individuals are informed of the specific charges against them and are advised of their rights. The court holds preliminary hearings on felony charges to determine if there is sufficient evidence to require a defendant to stand trial. More detailed information is located in the following sections:


When, where and what time is my court date?
If the date is within the next 5 days, you may obtain that information by conducting a case search on the court’s website. The clerk’s office may also obtain that information for you. If the case has not been updated, you will need to contact the Clerk’s office by phone or come in and request to view your file.
When are arraignments heard?
Misdemeanors are heard Monday – Friday at 8:30AM and 1:30PM Felonies are heard Monday – Friday at 1:30PM
What are my options if I have missed my court date?
If you are currently represented by counsel, and you wish to have your case placed back on calendar, you must contact someone at your attorney’s office who can assist you in placing the matter back on calendar. If you are not represented by counsel, you must come into the Clerk’s Office in person and apply. You cannot request by telephone. Only a judge may grant or deny an application for a court date.
Do I have an active bench warrant?
You can verify if you have an outstanding warrant by calling or visiting the branch location where your case was initiated.
What is the final disposition of my case and the date of the disposition?
We can usually get that information for you from the computer. If we are unable to pull that information out of the system, you will need to come into the Clerk’s office and request to view your file. If you are unable to come into the office, you will need to submit a request by mail. You may also have someone else come view your file and get the information for you as most records are public records. A fee is charged for any copies requested from the file. The charge is $.50 cents per page for a single-sided copy. If you do not have your case number, you may be charged for a clerk to research that information for you.
How do I file a 1203.4 PC/17(b) PC motion?
An attorney may file this motion for you. If you do not have an attorney, you may go to the Law Library and research how to file the motion with the Clerk’s Office. A Forms packet is available at the Clerk’s office; the cost is $1.00. Once you have the documents prepared, you will need to reserve a hearing date with the Clerk’s office. You may also go to the Self-Help section of California Court’s website for assistance.
Who can serve my documents?
Any person over the age of 18 years who is not a party to the action may serve your documents. You may not serve your own documents.
How do I file a Petition for Rehabilitation, Certificate and Pardon?
Forms with instructions may be obtained from the Clerk’s Office. You may also go to the Cleaning your Record/Expungement on this website or the Self-Help section of California Court’s website for assistance.
Is there a filing fee for motions filed in Criminal cases?
The only motions for which a fee is charged are Motions to Vacate and Exonerate Bail and Motions for Change of Venue.
How do I request copies from an old file?
Archive requests may be submitted in person or by mail. Please allow six to eight weeks to process your request.The following information is required to do a search: full name of defendant, any additional names used, date of birth, the year the charges were filed, and the type of offense committed. If the year the offense was committed and the year the charges were filed are different, please include this information. A research fee of $15.00 may apply if the file being requested is not stored off site. Copies are $.50 a page. If you are requesting a certified copy, the charge for certification is $25.00, which shall apply in addition to the cost of the copies made.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITY:If you do not receive a statement about your payment, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to contact MSB.
Can I appear for someone else?
No. The defendant in the case must personally appear. An attorney may appear on behalf of a defendant unless the defendant is ordered by the Court to appear.
Can I continue or change my court date without appearing?
No. The Clerk’s office can advance your hearing (arraignments only) if your case is a misdemeanor. A request to continue a hearing date may only be granted by a judge.
How can I get an extension on my Surrender-To-Jail date?
If there is an attorney on the case, the attorney must submit the application for a hearing to request an extension of time to surrender. If there is no attorney, you may submit the application for a hearing. Only a judge may grant an extension on a surrender-to-jail date.
I was terminated from my Level I, Level II or Deferred Judgment Program. How can I get back into the program?
If your case is a misdemeanor, you or your attorney* may apply for a hearing date to request your re-enrollment into the Level I program.For the Court to order re-enrollment in the Level II Program, the Court must receive a termination letter from the program that you were enrolled in. At that time, you or your attorney* may apply for a hearing date to request your re-enrollment into the Level II program.

For the Court to order re-enrollment in the Deferred Judgment Program, you or your attorney* may apply for a hearing date to request your re-enrollment into the program.

*If you have an attorney, the attorney must submit the application. If you do not have an attorney, you may submit the application.