If you are considering filing an appeal, the California Courts Website has a video that provides basic information on the following topics:
- What is an appeal?
- Can you appeal?
- Is an appeal the right choice for you?
- Where to find more information.
Options to Appealing
If an appeal is not the right way for you to address your issue, the California Court Website has published various options to appealing. Click here to read about your options.
- Civil Appeals (Limited and Unlimited)
- Civil appeals are filed in Stockton Branch. The Appeals Department is located on the 2nd Floor. Unlimited Civil Appeals include Family Law and Probate. Limited Civil Appeals include Unlawful Detainers.
The California Court Website provides general information about appeals in limited (includes unlawful detainers) and unlimited civil matters. The Website provides steps to appeal, forms, codes, rules, and FAQs for limited and unlimited matters., click on the link listed below
Click here to read more about civil appeals.
If you are filing an appeal for an unlimited matter you can find useful information about the appeal process under the 3rd District Court of Appeal Website. You can read about their practice and procedures and also view the Third District Court of Appeal Self-Help Manual by clicking on the links listed below.
Click here to read more about the appeal process under the 3rd District Court of Appeal
Click here to read more about view the Self-Help Manual
- Small Claims Appeals
- Small claims appeals are filed in the Civil Division under the Small Claims Department located on the 2nd Floor.
The California Court Website provides general information regarding small claims appeals. The Web Site also provides statutory time in which a small claims appeal must be filed as well as a link to a fillable Notice of Appeal form.
Click here to learn more about small claims appeals
- Misdemeanor and Traffic Infraction Appeals
- Misdemeanor Appeals can be filed in the Stockton, Manteca or Lodi Branch. In Stockton, the Appellate Department is located on the 2nd Floor. You can access the Judicial Council information sheet for misdemeanor appeals by clicking here.
Traffic Appeals are filed in the Stockton, Manteca or Lodi Branch. The Appeals Department is located on the 2nd Floor.
The California Court Website provides general information about traffic infraction appeals. The site provides a link to the Information for Appeals form as well as a link to the Notice of Appeal. You can also read basic information about the steps you need to follow to complete the appeal process.
Click here to learn more about traffic appeal process.
- Parking Appeals
- Parking appeals filed to challenge the final Administrative Decision on a parking citation are filed in the Civil Division of Stockton Court, 2nd Floor. The fee is currently $25. Refer to California Vehicle Code Section 40230 for further information. The Notice of Appeal – Parking is located on the Stockton Court Website under the forms tab. You must provide an original and two copies. If the appeal is filed by mail you must include a self-addressed envelope for the return of the copies.