Cleaning Your Record/Expungement

Cleaning Up Your Criminal Record

If you have been convicted of a crime you may be eligible for relief through a relatively simple legal process. Some convictions can be modified on your record so that when you apply for most jobs, you can legally indicate that you were not convicted of that crime. Other convictions may be reduced from felony to misdemeanor status in certain situations. Also, San Joaquin County residents who have completed a term in prison may be eligible for a Certificate of Rehabilitation and Pardon.

NOTE: This information deals with criminal convictions obtained in California only.

Forms Packet and Resources for Help

Petition for Dismissal pursuant to Penal Code 1203.4 or 1203.4a
Sealing your Record
Certificate for Rehabilitation or Pardon

Find out the Details of Your Conviction

In order to clean up your criminal record, you need to know what is on your criminal record so that you can figure out your options and choose the correct forms. Go to California Courts to read more about how to get this information.