Self-Help/Pro Per Clinic

If you have a new case, please submit a ticket through the online workshop.


The Family Law Facilitator/ Pro Per Clinic provides free services to help people who do not have private attorneys.


For further information regarding the Family Law Facilitator/ Pro Per Clinic, you can call (209) 992-5283. For general information regarding the Family Law Court, you can call (209) 992-5690. If you need an ASL interpreter, please bring one with you.

Please do not bring children to the Pro Per Clinic or to the workshops.

When You Arrive at the Clinic…

Upon arrival, you will need to sign in. We recommend that you arrive as early as possible to sign in as there are limited spots available each day and once they are filled, you will have to return the next business day to sign up for available times. There are no in-person workshops at this time only online workshops as referenced above.

All cases not requiring a workshop will be assisted at the Pro Per Clinic. You must bring your most current order and all other paperwork associated with your case. If you need a domestic violence restraining order contact San Joaquin County Justice Center at (209) 468-2500 or the Women’s Center at (209) 941-2611.

All persons who are In Pro Per and acting as their own attorney are encouraged to have their forms reviewed by the Self-Help Clinic before filing or presenting the papers to the Court.

Services the Clinic Provides

The Family Law Facilitator/ Pro Per Clinic provides general information and referrals. They will review your paperwork, if you have attended a workshop or were given a sample, and give you information regarding:

  • Initial orders or modifications for child custody, visitation, child, or spousal support
  • Review of domestic violence, elder abuse, and civil harassment restraining orders
  • Initiating an action to establish paternity
  • Dissolution, legal separation, nullity of marriage
  • Responses and responsive declarations
  • Income and expense declarations
  • Emancipation
  • Step-parent adoptions
  • Civil name change
  • Change of venue
  • Motions to quash and set aside
  • Writs and enforcement of orders
  • Wage garnishment and income withholding orders
  • Grandparent visitation
  • Proofs of service
  • Preparation of judgments and orders
  • Guardianship
  • Conservatorship of the person
  • Limited Civil
  • Small Claims
  • Unlawful Detainer
  • Recognition of Gender Change

Services the Clinic Does Not Provide

The Family Law Facilitator/ Pro Per Clinic cannot assist individuals with:

  • Complex cases
  • Contempt actions
  • Conservatorship of the estate
  • Subpoenas, or
  • Retirement issues (California Courts) 

Although the Facilitator and other staff are attorneys, they do not represent you and can only give you general information about the law and your case. There is no attorney-client relationship between you and the clinic staff.  Please see a private attorney for a consultation before you begin your legal proceedings to learn about your legal rights.

You can contact us at (209) 992-5283, or by emailing us at Self-Help Center. For legal advice, please consult an attorney.

Our office does not provide forms.  You can download forms from San Joaquin Superior Court or the California Courts .