Financial Hardship and Ability to Pay Your Fine

If you cannot pay the full amount of a fine for an infraction offense (including most traffic tickets), you may ask the Court to reduce the amount you owe based on your ability to pay. You must show proof that you do not have the financial means to pay your fine. You may also ask the Court if you can perform community service, establish a payment plan, or extend the time you need to comply with a court order. You may ask the court to consider your ability to pay at any point in the process, but you must enter a plea of guilty or no contest before the Court can give you an answer.

The easiest way to request a fine reduction is to use the Courts new online request tool. You can use this tool to:

  • Request a reduction in your traffic fine
  • Request a payment plan
  • Request community service
  • Request more time to pay your ticket

However, you cannot use this tool:

  • If you wish to contest the ticket
  • If you would like to attend traffic school
  • If you have proof of correction and would like a dismissal or reduction of those charges
  • If your offense is a misdemeanor violation

Your ability-to-pay may be determined by a clerk of the court.

Any determination made by a clerk shall be based on the following criteria:

  • Defendants receiving public benefits or whose income is below 250% of the federal poverty line will receive a 65% reduction and a $25 monthly payment plan

If you are wishing to do any of the above, you may still request a reduction, attend traffic school, and submit proof of correction by using the Court’s Online Dispute Resolution. Please note if you have a misdemeanor violation, you cannot use our online services and you should contact the Court at (209) 992-5692.

If you do not have access to or are unable to use the online tool, you may submit the forms below to provide information which you believe should be considered in connection with your request. Forms need to be filed with the Clerk’s Office at:

Stockton Superior Court – Traffic Division
180 E Weber Ave
Stockton CA 95202

  • TR-320/CR320  – Can’t Afford to Pay Fine: Traffic and Other Infractions

Please note the Court may add an additional fee of $100 to cases where the fine is delinquent. Court users will receive a couple of notifications before the additional fee is added so they may take action to avoid the imposition of the additional fee. Court users are advised to take immediate action when they receive a notice to avoid additional fees.