Form Packets – Name Change
|FORM NUMBER||FORM NAME||DOWNLOAD THE FORM FROM:|
|CM-010||Civil Case Cover Sheet||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/cm010.pdf|
|NC-100-INFO||Instructions for Filing a Petition for Change of Name||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc100info.pdf|
|NC-100||Petition for Change of Name||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc100.pdf|
|NC-110||Attachment to Petition for Change of Name||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc110.pdf|
|NC-110G||Supplemental Attachment to Petition for Change of Name||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc110g.pdf|
|NC-120||Order to Show Cause for Change of Name||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc120.pdf|
|NC-121||Proof of Service of Order to Show Cause||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc121.pdf|
|NC-130||Decree Changing Name||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc130.pdf|
|NC-130G||Decree of Minor of Minor (by Guardian)||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc130g.pdf|
|NC-200||Petition for Change of Name, Recognition of Change of Gender, and Issuance of New Birth Certificate||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc200.pdf|
|NC-225||Order to Show Cause for Change of Name to Conform to Gender Identity||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc225.pdf|
|NC-230||Decree Changing Name and Order Recognizing Change of Gender and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc230.pdf|
|NC-300||Petition for Recognition of Change of Gender and for Issuance for New Birth Certificate||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc300.pdf|
|NC-330||Order Recognizing Change of Gender and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc330.pdf|
|NC-500-INFO||Instruction for Filing Petition for Recognition of Minor’s Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (and Change of Name)||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc500info.pdf|
|NC-500||Petition for Recognition of Minor’s Change of Gender and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc500.pdf|
|NC-510G||Supplemental Attachment to Petition for Change of Name (Declaration of Guardian)||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc510g.pdf|
|NC-520||Order to Show Cause for Recognition of Minor’s Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc520.pdf|
|NC-530G||Order Recognizing Change of Gender and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate (By Guardian or Dependency Attorney)||www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc530g.pdf|
|———–||List of San Joaquin County Newspapers||www.sjcourts.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Newspapers-for-Publication.pdf|
Petition to Change Name
General Instruction for Petitions to Change Name. You may not use all of the forms above depending upon your scenario.
Please thoroughly read all of the information for the Instructions for Filing a Petition for Change of Name (NC-100) or other applicable instruction forms.
- Should you need assistance, The Lawyer Referral Service may be able to assist you in finding an attorney to help you with any legal questions pertaining to the completion and presentation of the appropriate forms prior to filing. Their phone number is (209) 948-4620.
- The Self-Help Center is available to review the forms once they have been completed. Information about the Self-Help Center and hours of operation can be located at www.sjcourts.org/self-help/self-help-pro-per-clinic/.
- Information regarding the Name Change process can be located on the California Court’s website at www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-namechange.htm.
- Information regarding amending a birth certificate after a name change has been granted can be found on the State of California, Department of Public Health, Office of Vital Records’ website at www.cdph.ca.gov.
Submitting Your Forms for Filing
- Make sure to provide all of the required forms for your scenario
- All information must be completed
- If not typed, forms must be legibly handwritten in blue or black ink
- Forms must be dated and signed by the Petitioner
- Submit the original plus a set of copies for yourself. Failure to provide copies may result in additional fees. Always remember to include a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) with adequate postage in order to have your copies returned to you. Failure to include a SASE will result in in your copies being placed in the pick-up cabinet located with the Clerk’s Office in L2. Documents not picked up within 30 days may be destroyed.
- Provide the correct filing fee for your petition to be processed. Current fees can be viewed at /forms-filing/court-fee-schedule/ .
If you cannot afford to pay the court fees and costs, you may ask the Court to waive all or part of your fees by completing a Fee Waiver Application, form FW-001. (See Fee Waiver Form Packet information.)
- There is a separate fee for publishing the Order to Show Cause in a newspaper. You will have to check with the newspaper for their fee. Click here to download a list of approved newspapers.
All court proceedings are in English. If you require the assistance of an interpreter, you may ask the Court to provide an interpreter by competing and filing Judicial Council form INT-300 – Request for Interpreter at selfhelp.courts.ca.gov/jcc-form/INT-300.
Proof of Publication
Confirm the newspaper has filed a Proof of Publication with the Court prior to your hearing date.
To check the status of or to view documents filed in your case, you may access your case at cms.sjcourts.org/.