Form Packets – Small Claims

SC-100-INFOInformation for the Plaintiff (Small Claims)
SC-100Plaintiff’s Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims
SC-100AOther Plaintiffs or Defendants (Attachment to Plaintiff’s Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court)  
SC-103Fictitious Business Names (Small Claims)
SC-109Authorization to Appear on Behalf of
SC-104BWhat is Proof of Service? (Small Claims)
SC-104Proof of Service (Small Claims)
Sup. Ct. 378Request for Certified Mail (Small Claims)/wp-content/uploads/Request for Certified Mail.pdf 
SC-500Plaintiff’s Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court COVID-19 Rental
SC-500AOther Plaintiff’s or Defendants (COVID-19 Rental Debt)
SC-500-INFOCOVID-19 Rental Debt in Small Claims

General Information and Instructions for Filing Small Claims Cases (Can only be filed in the Stockton or Lodi branch)

Please thoroughly read both pages of the Information for the Small Claims Plaintiff (SC-100-INFO) form.


 Self-Help>Small Claims>Suing Someone>Steps to Filing a Small Claims Case>Figure Out How to Name the Defendant

  • The Small Claims Advisory line for San Joaquin County is (209) 473-6463.
  • The Self-Help Center is available to review the forms once they have been completed. Information about the Self-Help Center and hours of operation can be located at
  • Small Claims can be filed electronically (e-Filed) at Video tutorials are available to assist you.

Required to File Your Claim

  • A completed SC-100, Plaintiff’s Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court.
    • All information must be completed
    •  If not typed, must be legibly handwritten in blue or black ink
    • Form must be dated and signed by each Plaintiff
  • If requesting service by Certified Mail by the Clerk:
    • Submit mandatory Local Form Sup.Ct. 378, Request for Certified Mail (Small Claims)
    • Submit the $15 fee
  • If not e-Filed, you will need to submit the original plus a copy for each defendant listed on your claim and one for yourself. Failure to provide copies may result in additional fees. Always remember to include a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) with adequate postage in order to have your copies returned to you. Failure to include a SASE will result in your copies being placed in the pick-up cabinet located at the Security Desk in Stockton. Documents not picked up within 30 days may be destroyed.  
  • Provide the correct filing fee for your claim to be processed. Current fees can be viewed at /forms-filing/court-fee-schedule/.

If you cannot afford to pay the court fees and costs, you may ask the Court to waive all or part of your fees by completing a Fee Waiver Application, form FW-001. (See Fee Waiver Form Packet information.)

Interpreter Needs

All court proceedings are in English. If you require the assistance of an interpreter, you may ask the Court to provide an interpreter by competing and filing Judicial Council form INT-300 – Request for Interpreter at

Service of Claim

The Sheriff’s Office is able to serve your claim upon the defendants. Their hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. They are located at 7000 North Michael Canlis Boulevard, French Camp, CA 95231 and the phone number is (209) 468-4475. Please call ahead for directions or further information. You can also review their service information at If you choose to have someone 18 years of age or older and who is not a party to the action serve your claim, make sure to file the Proof of Service timely. See CCP 116.340(c). Failure to file the Proof of Service with the Court at least five (5) days prior to the hearing may result in your case not being heard.

To check the status of or to view documents filed in your case, you may access your case at